Monday, January 21, 2008

My not-so girly girl

When do little girls start to like to do girly things? Sophia hates getting her nails cut. She completely freaks out. I feel like I'm torturing her because we have to hold her still to cut them. It's emotionally and physically painful for both of us, but it has to be done.

This weekend, in the midst of everything that went on with my son, we had to cut Sophia's nails. They were starting to get dangerous. So I pulled out some nail polish, a nail file and the nail clippers and sat on the floor with her and tried my best to make the experience fun.

It was an absolute failure.

She was interested in the nail polish, but only if she was doing the painting … all over her feet. Not a single drop got on her nails. She wouldn't let me near her nails. After 45 minutes of trying to get her to play manicure, I caved and just held her down and cut them because she can't go to daycare with daggers for finger nails and I had other things to do that day.

It's the screaming that gets to me. I feel awful, but it's a basic hygienic need. How do I get her to enjoy the experience? She wasn't always like this. I used to be able to put on an Elmo video and cut her nails in no time. Elmo can't even save me now. She hasn't even had her first haircut because I am so nervous about how she will react. Fortunately, her hair has been slow coming in, but my time is running out and she is going to need one very soon.

She's obsessed with shoes, in fact, shoe was one of her first words (that's MY girl!), but that's as girly as she gets. She did let me put pigtails in her hair once (see photo as proof), but they were short-lived and I think they made her crazy.

She is perfectly happy wrestling on the floor with my husband. She loves being thrown in the air and she loves to be startled. One of her favorite games is hide and seek when the hider jumps out and scares her. This boggles my mind, shouldn't she be at least a little scared? Nope, she loves it and she is always hiding herself and jumping out and trying to scare us.

I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer and if it never happens, that's OK. I guess she doesn't have to be a girly girl.

0 comments: