Thursday, January 24, 2008

Working to be pain free

Working is good for my health. I've come to this conclusion after experiencing terrible back pain during the last several weeks. At first I was sure it was our bed since my husband has experienced similar symptoms. It's only three years old, but it's been through two pregnancies, so I figured, pregnancy beat me up so why wouldn't it do the same thing to our bed?

Every chance I got I would mention that we needed a new bed; and every time I was reminded of the sad fact that it's just not in the budget at this time. It's the cold, hard reality of family budgets, parents will never get what they need because whatever the kids need is exponentially more important.

So I've been forced to get rid of my back pain myself. Upon investigation, I noticed my back pain is most severe Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Even though my desk is not exactly ergonomically correct, by Tuesday the pain is practically gone. By Thursday I feel like superwoman again.

I work Sunday to Thursday. On Friday I am home all day alone with both the kids. This means I am carrying at least one, if not both children around the house all day long on Friday. Even with my husband at home during the rest of the weekend, we are still carrying the kids. Because Ryan is small and Sophia is bigger, when he's playing on the floor, we often need to keep her away from the little guy because she tends to be a little, um, well, let's say aggressive. And let's be honest, my kids like to be carried around, so as parents, we gladly oblige.

I'm not a doctor, but my official diagnosis is that my back pain comes from carrying my kids around during the weekend. If that is the case, and I'm certain it is, it's a pain I will gladly deal with as long as my kids need to be carried around. I'm just thankful I get a break during the work week.

0 comments: