Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lost and not found - yet

I lost my keys this morning. I don't mean the kind of lost like they weren't were I left them and I found them someplace else, I mean lost like I had to get our spare house key and use the valet key to start my car this morning.

They are gone.

I discovered their disappearance in the midst of our mad rush out the door this morning. Ryan was in his car seat, Sophia had her jacket on and I was headed for the door when I discovered my keys weren't in my pocket. I checked my pocket book. Nothing. I emptied my purse three separate times. Still no keys.

So, the frantic search for the keys began. We checked in all the usual places: the door, the computer table, the kitchen counter and all the coat pockets. Then we started in some not-so usual places, like the under the couch, the bookcase, Sophia's toy box, even the trash can. For 45 minutes, my husband and I turned the house upside down looking for these keys. We found nothing.

As far as I'm concerned they got up and walked out the door themselves.

This is a disaster. I know it's not the end of the world, but it is so frustrating. The remote for my car is now gone, so I can't use the automatic door opener function on my car or set the alarm. All those silly grocery store cards are on my keys, and the worst is the key fob to get into daycare is gone and that's $10 to replace.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my dear Sophia may have thrown out the keys, but I have no real proof. She's never thrown anything like that out before, but there is a first time for everything and I think this might be it. I'm secretly hoping I'll get home tonight and they'll be sitting on the counter, but I doubt that will really happen.

0 comments: