Sunday, March 30, 2008

Daddy's magic stardust

Last week I was sitting up with Ryan at about 2:30 a.m. giving him a bottle thinking about how unbelievable it was that he was still getting up to eat in the middle of the night. It seems that once he starts sleeping through the night he gets sick and starts waking again.

I had been putting Ryan to bed because Sophia and her Daddy have a little bedtime routine that doesn't really involve me. I had actually asked him to take over putting her to bed when I was pregnant with Ryan because, at the time, she was a bit of a challenge to get to sleep and the night often ended with Sophia trying to sit on top of my belly and after a while I just couldn't take it. Soon after Daddy took over bedtime, Sophia started going to bed like an angel.

Does Daddy have magic stardust or did Mommy just get her through the rough phase? You decide, but whatever it was, it worked.

So after Ryan was born I just kind of assumed the responsibility of putting Ryan to bed. Except for the occasional night here and there, Ryan pretty much never consistently slept through the night. Ever.

(I'd like to add here that Sophia has ALWAYS slept through the night. She started sleeping 12 hours – 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. – through the night at one month old, but around four or five months old she decided she didn't want a bedtime. Once she was finally asleep, she was out for the night, but getting her to fall asleep was the challenge. Ryan, on the other hand, has zero trouble going to bed at night, it's just after five or six hours he decides it's time to eat and starts crying, and if we let him cry it out for too long Sophia wakes up and when she gets up she does not go back to sleep. That means two babies screaming at 2 a.m. One who will fall back to sleep after two or three ounces and another who will be up until she falls asleep in the car on the way to daycare. Would YOU let Ryan cry for long? We don't.)

After six months of interrupted sleep, I was at my breaking point. I needed a full, uninterrupted night of sleep. So, I put my ego aside and begged my husband to sprinkle his magic stardust on Ryan and I would assume the responsibility of putting Sophia to bed. He wasn't thrilled about breaking up team "Daddy's Little Girl," but he understood my desperation and took one for the "Mommy and Daddy" team.

The first night my husband put Ryan to bed he slept through the night. Night two, he slept again. Night three, four, five and six, he was quiet all night long.

Saturday night, I asked Jon to put Sophia to bed and I would try to put Ryan to bed.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm up for the challenge," I answered.

I put Ryan to bed and he slept the entire night; however, he woke up with a runny nose.
Will he continue sleeping through the night or are we back to middle of the night feedings? It's the cliff hanger of my life and I'm sure to find out soon.

0 comments: