Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Probably worried about nothing

Did you ever have one of those days where you think you might just be crazy? Today is one of those days.

During the last couple of days, my husband and I noticed that it seemed Ryan was not hearing. When we'd call his name, he wouldn't look at us and sometimes, no matter how loud we talked, he wouldn't look at us until we waved our hand or made some kind of motion. So, naturally, we were concerned, but not concerned enough to rush him to the doctor because he is babbling and making lots of noise.

Last night, however, Jon and I were discussing his hearing, and I found this Web site with risk factors of hearing loss in babies. I went through and read all of risk factors. Some of the risk factors mentioned on the I thought Ryan was experiencing are does not awaken to loud noises, does not freely imitate sound (unless you count the unending da da da da he says), cannot be soothed by voice alone, does not turn his/her head in the direction of my voice and does not point to familiar persons or objects when asked.

At the bottom of the site, it says if your baby has any of these symptoms, they are at risk for hearing loss.

This is when I started to get concerned.

So when I dropped him off at daycare this morning, I asked the teacher if she noticed any hearing loss and to keep an eye on it for me. Immediately, she sat on the floor next to him. She said his name and right away he turned to look at her. He heard her, no doubt.

While I stood there, feeling like a complete idiot, she continued to talk to me and Ryan and Ryan kept turning away from her and then looking back at her when she started talking again.

She did not dismiss my concern and said I should have a doctor test his hearing just to be sure.

Moral of the story: Get used to the kids making me feel like an idiot. This isn't the first time and it won't be the last, but don't ever disregard maternal instinct.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so sure that my 4 year old daughter must be hearing impaired in some way. But she had been tested in school and the results said she was fine. I have since learned that she most definitely has selective hearing. She might hear us talking, but not deem it worthy of attention. We are constantly frustrated by what we perceive to be her ignoring us. She is 6 now and only slightly better.

Jen
http://www.listplanit.com