Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bah humbug!

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I would like to take this opportunity to plead a case, a case that is very to my sanity. The case is against pre-mature holiday celebrations.

Come on, people. Hear me out. I love Christmas just as much as the next person, but I can only take so much of it. Christmas should not be even thought of until Dec. 1. Screw Black Friday. Holiday shopping should not start the day after Thanksgiving. Christmas music? Listen, whoever you are who plan the music selections for radio stations, stop the Christmas music.

Now.

I'm serious.

Mommy is not playing.

Last but not least, to the community, do not decorate for Christmas yet. There is no reason to be wasting all that electricity on decorative lights and ornaments before at least Dec. 1. Hell, a real Christmas tree will be dry and falling apart by Christmas if you put it up now. If you have a fake Christmas tree, it will be covered in dust by Christmas morning. Dusting a Christmas tree does not sound like fun to me.

I would like to propose a ban all holiday celebrations to the month they are scheduled. So, Halloween decorations and costume and candy sales would be contained only in the month of October. Thanksgiving would occupy November. Valentine's Day would stay in February. It makes sense, right?

Imagine how nice that would be. I think everyone's stress level would drop significantly. Please, think about it. Don't we all have enough to worry about? Don't we deserve a break?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny you post this today. I keep trying to push Christmas out of my mind. But it's kind of hard when it's EVERYWHERE. I don't even want to go to Target these days because it's everywhere. And it almost got me. Well, it did get me. I was depressed and shopping. and I bought. ORNAMENTS. MAKE IT STOP. It's still beautiful and in the 70's here. Even mother nature doesn't want it to be Christmas yet! So I'm signing the petition.

Kelly said...

Here! Here! I couldn't agree with this post more!

Laura said...

yeah i would agree any other year except we are going to be celebrating christmas a little early here under the Big Top before my baby sis heads out to the mission field. artificial trees will be up and remain up prolly given my track record until the end of January

Anonymous said...

Aaak! My christmas tree has this powdery fake snow falling off of it....and now it's all over the house. At least dust can be resolved with Pledge.

Oh btw- I'm FINALLY getting around to your butterfly award this week. Thank you again:-)

James (SeattleDad) said...

I am with you on this, but I just wrote a post on how I am softening a bit towards all those who would begin with the holiday focus so early.