Monday, March 17, 2008

Positive attitude

I'm pretty sure my kids are too young to fake being sick to get out of going to school, but some days I'm not so sure about that.

On Friday I took Ryan for his 6 month check up and, as expected, he got a bunch of vaccines. Well, Friday night and Saturday, he had a fever, diarrhea and vomiting. On Sunday he had one more bout of diarrhea and this morning he seemed just fine. When I dropped him off at daycare, I told them about our big weekend and they told me they have a virus going around with the same symptoms. Oh, boy.

As soon as I walked in to work and put my pocketbook on my desk my cell phone rang. It was daycare, Ryan was projectile vomiting. One of his teachers said he should work in special effects because the puke just kept spewing. So I turned right around and walked out. My boss hadn't even seen me come in, so I didn't bother announcing my arrival. I was gone in a flash.

When I picked him up, I was handed his puke-covered clothes and when I went over to Ryan's crib to pick him up, there he was, smiling away like he was going to the fair. His eyes looked bright and his smile was huge. What a big faker!

I'd like to count my blessings that both my kids are generally happy all the time. Even when Ryan was in the hospital with RSV he was laughing and smiling at the nurses. The nurses at the pediatrician also comment, "oh, I remember this little guy. He was the one who was so sick but still so happy."

I don't want to jinks myself, but sometimes it's not such a good thing that they are so happy because it's hard to tell when they're really, really sick. The doctors always say that you can tell how sick your baby is by the way he or she is acting. This is not so for my kids.

When Sophia even gets the slightest cold, she gets a fever that spikes to 103 or 104. Always, without fail. She will be laughing and playing and it's not until I pick her up that I can feel how warm she really is. It's frustrating because I end up always dropping my kids off at daycare and then they're always being sent home sick. I think Ryan's going for a record number of sent homes. We must be well past six for this year alone.

I guess I should just stop complaining and be thankful I have happy kids. I just wish they were always healthy, too. Oh, the picture of Ryan in this post is of him sitting next to me as I type this. He looks way sick, doesn't he?

0 comments: