Thursday, July 24, 2008

Beach blanket bingo

It’s been quiet here at The Mommy Diaries because we’ve been on vacation. Actually, we are still technically on vacation, but right now at least we’re home. For the past couple of days we were at my sister’s house in Delaware, and a stone’s throw from Rehoboth beach. My sister invited us over for some fun in the sun and I’m so glad we made it.

We don’t get down there too often because it’s about a three hour car ride and any one who’s been reading this blog for a while knows that Sophia isn’t exactly a joy to travel with. For this trip, we brought in reinforcements. My brother came with us and helped keep Sophia busy. Apparently she and my little brother share the same taste in music because she spent most of the ride listening to his iPod with him. She told him that she loves Radiohead.

Yeah, we went to the beach, we swam in the pool and Sophia had a great time playing with her 2-year-old cousin, but the best part of the whole trip was hanging out with my brother and sister. It’s been a long time since the three of us just hung out and it was a lot of fun. The way you talk with friends is so different from the way you talk with family. I don’t know if it’s because you have so much history with each other or what, but it was great. There’s no real drama happening in any of our lives right now and we’re all pretty happy, so just sitting around and having a couple of drinks was the perfect way to spend some time away.

Update on Ryan: OK, so on Tuesday, right after we arrived in Delaware, the rash all over Ryan’s belly spread all over his body. The poor little guy looked awful. The roseola rash doesn’t look like chicken pox or hives; it’s more like giant red patches all over his skin. It was awful and we were getting worried about him. I know this might seem anti-productive, but we took him off the antibiotic for his ear infection for 24 hours. We did it because it’s penicillin-based and I’m allergic to it, so our thinking was that because the rash was getting worse maybe he was allergic to the medicine. Also, one of the side effects of the medicine is diarrhea, and he was indeed suffering the side effects. Frankly, I didn’t think he needed to deal with diarrhea at the same time.

Tuesday night, Ryan woke up screaming. He was, of all things, constipated. In the morning, the rash was practically gone. By the end of the day Wednesday, Ryan was 100% better. He was eating, laughing and playing, and far less clingy than he had been. This morning he woke up smiling for the first time in a week. We gave him a dose of the antibiotic this morning and we’re watching to see if the rash now comes back. Hopefully, it won’t.

I hate it when the kids get sick.


Autumn's Mom said...

I'm glad he's getting back to his old self! Your brother sounds like he has the magic touch with Sophia :)