Thursday, October 9, 2008

How routine falls apart

Every morning at about 6 a.m. Sophia climbs into my bed, curls up next to me and proceeds to kick, toss and turn and whine. This will go on for about 10 minutes until she either falls back to sleep or decides she needs to have juice. Immediately.

This is my alarm clock. I have no need to set a real one, Sophia has always woken up like clockwork … that is until this morning.

This morning, Sophia came into bed and went through her little routine of kicking and tossing and turning, except this morning it was exceptionally violent. I let it go on until I couldn't take it anymore.

"Soph, if you don't stay still you have to go back to your own bed."

"Nooooo," she whined. "I don't wanna."

I look at the clock and it says 2:10.

So I pick her up and take her back to bed. I'm not dealing with this at 2 o'clock in the morning. There's no way. She cries and tells me she wants me, but I'm not relenting. I sit with her in her bed for a couple of minutes and then go back to bed. I am so tired that I fall right back to sleep.
Sophia comes back into my room and climbs into bed. I wake up again, hoping it's at least 6, but when I look at the clock it says 2:40.

"Stay still and don't move or you have to go back to your own bed," I tell her.

She promptly falls back to sleep.

Ryan is a good sleeper. I can count on him to sleep until at least 7:30 every morning. This morning, however, I heard him crying and looked at the clock and it says … are you ready? … 5:00, on the dot.

Again, I stumble through the hall, go into his room and he's screaming. I pick him up, hug him and rock him for a few minutes and he goes back to sleep … for 45 minutes, when he wakes up and screams so loudly that Sophia wakes up. It's hardly 6 a.m. and everyone is up, so our morning begins.

***

On our way to daycare, Sophia said, "I'm a little bit tired, Mommy."

"You should probably sleep at night and you won't be tired in the morning," I said.

"I don't wanna, Mommy," she says.

Ryan is sound asleep before I even pull out of my parking spot.

Pray for me that they sleep tonight.

0 comments: