Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'd like some symptoms, please

My kids are pretty happy all the time, even when they're sick, and it's been a problem.

I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I'd really love it if they acted sick when they were sick. Let's use our latest sickness as an example. Today I took Ryan to the pediatrician because he had a rash. A rash, mind you, that really didn't concern me because I was pretty sure it was a heat rash. I only called because Ryan's only 8 months old and, as a general rule for my babies under 1, I always call the doctor if I notice anything unusual because of previously stated problem with mood not really reflecting illness.

After waiting in the office for an hour and 15 minutes, the doctor came in and in less than 5 minutes I learned Ryan has coxsackievirus, also known as hand- foot-mouth disease, and an ear infection in both ears. Apparently, he has a blister on the roof of his mouth, on his tongue and in his throat, too.

Unbelievable.

Before the rash appeared, he didn't exhibit a single symptom of any illness. He has no fever and his mood and eating were normal. How on earth am I supposed to know when my kids are sick if they don't act sick?

Hand-foot-mouth disease is really contagious. I'm sure it's more a matter of when Sophia gets it rather than if she gets it. My stepson was over all weekend and yesterday we went to his mom's boyfriend's grandmother's house for a barbecue where Ryan and Sophia played with even more kids. If he had been acting even a little sick we would have stayed home, I don't want to get other kids sick.

0 comments: